Camp International FAQs

Here are some common questions International students and families have about applying to and attending Interlochen Arts Camp. General questions and answers about camp may be found here.

In addition, many questions can be answered by reviewing the Student and Family Handbooks.

Can I come to Interlochen on a B1/B2 visa? 
Answer: No. B1/B2 visas are not permitted for studying at Interlochen. The purpose of your travel to the US is to study, therefore you need to be on a student visa. In most cases, international students are required to obtain an F-1 visa with an I-20.

I am a Canadian citizen, do I need a visa? 
Answer: Canadian​ citizens do not require a visa to enter the United States directly from Canada, but are required to present the I-20 and the receipt for payment of the SEVIS I-901 fee. 

I have a green card. Do I need an I-20 or a visa?
Answer: No. Your green card is sufficient for study in the United States.

Can international students receive scholarships and financial aid?
Answer: Yes. International students are eligible to apply for most scholarships and financial aid. Please see the financial aid page for more information.

Am I required to have health insurance? 
Answer: No. Students are not required to have health insurance for the summer camp.

Can I be picked up from the Detroit or Chicago airports?
Answer: No. Interlochen is only able to pick up students at the Traverse City Cherry Capital Airport (TVC).

I am a parent flying with my student. Where can I rent a car or a taxi?
Answer: Please see the car rentals page at Cherry Capital Airport. 

Where can I rent a hotel?
Answer: Interlochen has limited availability on campus through the Stone Hotel. There are a number of hotels located in the Grand Traverse County area. You can find more information here.

Can students fly alone?
Answer: Yes. At most airlines, you will be required to purchase Unaccompanied Minor service for students 15 and under; you may optionally purchase this for any student 17. An airline representative will escort an unaccompanied minor through layover airports. 

Who can I reach out to with more questions?
Answer: Please email or