Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
We will embrace four key pillars in leading the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion work at Interlochen. These pillars will serve as a foundation for critical dialogues and deep engagement with topics that are uncomfortable but necessary to develop a culture of belonging on our campus.
As a destination for young artists, Interlochen is poised to cultivate artists whose impact will change the world. Our curriculum and educational programming provides students with resources to address inequalities in the arts world and beyond and to participate in civic engagement.
Vulnerability and Transparency
As a community, we will challenge ourselves to lean into our discomfort; and be “vulnerable and transparent” in activating campus wide change. As an incubator for worldwise friendship, we will acknowledge our blind spots and use these discussions to address and dismantle the walls of our differences.
As a community, we will remain vigilant and acknowledge that the journey towards creating an inclusive campus takes time. There will be bumps in the road, but we will travel this journey together. We will hold ourselves accountable with the understanding that if one of our community members is impacted, we are all impacted.
Through educating ourselves, engaging in transparent and vulnerable conversations, and holding ourselves accountable, we can transform Interlochen and the world. This is a slow and intentional and inclusive process that will require the work of students, faculty, staff and administrators.
Recent Programs and Initiatives
The following is a list of Programs and Initiatives that have occurred so far:
- Conversation with Education Personnel about the Black at Interlochen movement
- Conversation and Meeting with International Families
- African Drum Circle and Beyoncé
- Community Meeting on Xenophobia
- Launch of the student affinity groups
- A Conversation with Black Alumni about DEI at Interlochen
- A Conversation with all Arts Academy Alumni about DEI at Interlochen
- Unconscious bias training for all hiring managers
- Celebration of Indigenous Art
- Campus-wide common read and programming: Just Mercy
- Celebration of Lunar New Year
Our talented DEI team is dedicated to cultivating a community of belonging.