Day Camp : Interlochen Arts Discovery
Why Arts Discovery
Are you searching for a summer arts "day camp near me"? Then join us at Arts Discovery! Designed for students ages 7 - 12, this week-by-week Interlochen and Traverse City area day camp offers students a chance to experience some of the magic of an Interlochen summer at a reduced cost while remaining flexible to family summer schedules.
The arts-forward day camp is held at the Interlochen Community School building. Each week will feature a unique theme with arts activities and enrichment, and utilize Interlochen’s sprawling 1200-acre campus, allowing students to explore the outdoors with environmental exploration workshops.
- Age range: 7-12 (current 2022-2023 1st graders through 6th graders)
- Program length: 1-week sessions, Monday through Friday, offered over 7 weeks. Beginning Monday, June 19 to Friday, Aug. 4
- Cost: $350 per week, $100 deposit due at registration
- Location: Interlochen Community School Building
Interested in arts sleep away camp for students in grades 3-12? Learn more about Interlochen Arts Camp.
Summer camp weeks will adhere to three weekly themes, offered in rotation, throughout the summer. Activities will vary week by week. Multiple-session enrollment is encouraged and students will experience unique activities if they enroll for multiple weeks!
- June 19 - 23: Sustainability
- June 26 - 30: IPR / Theatre Week
- July 3 - 7: Be Well
- July 10 - 14: Sustainability
- July 17 - 21: Be Well
- July 24 - 28: IPR / Theatre Week
- July 31 - August 4: IPR / Theatre Week
Special Activity Days
- Tuesdays: Tie-dye Day (bring a white t-shirt from home to tie-dye!)
- Tuesdays and Thursdays: Beach day (bring a swimsuit and towel)
- Friday: Group photo day! We’ll take our group photo and share with families on Friday of each week.
- Friday showcase! - Families are invited to a special art showcase or performance at the conclusion of each week on Friday. Join us at 3:00 p.m. on Friday at the Community School to see what we’ve been up to!
Included in the registration fee
- Lunch daily in one of our campus cafeterias
- 2 nutritious snacks daily
- Interlochen T-shirt and lanyard (1 per student per summer)
- Ice cream each week from the Melody Freeze
During Sustainability week, students will enjoy time in our campus greenhouse and explore what it takes to make a garden grow! Students will learn about botany and plant life cycles through hands-on activities planting seeds and harvesting crops. We’ll explore concepts surrounding land and water conservation, invasive plants, composting, and climate change. Students will also explore our sprawling 1,200-acre campus with guided hikes and exploration.
During Interlochen Public Radio (IPR) / Theatre week, students will spend time at our public radio station, learning about storytelling, recording, and broadcasting. The week will also include theatre and improv games, challenging students to be expressive and imaginative on stage. Students will have the opportunity to sit in on an Interlochen Arts Camp theatre rehearsal and take a tour of the backstage at Corson auditorium.
During Be Well: Music, Mindfulness, and Dance week, students will participate in yoga, music, and dance classes. Students will experience sessions around mindful listening, body awareness, mindful eating, mindful breathing, and movement. They will explore how to focus their attention on one thing at a time, increasing their focus and concentration, and helping them to manage their emotions and calm themselves. Students will have an opportunity to take a dance/movement class in Interlochen’s new Dance Center, and attend an Interlochen Arts Camp Orchestra rehearsal. Each day will include 30 minutes of mindfulness — a restful break from the busyness of daily life.
For students who require transportation from Traverse City to Interlochen, we offer a morning and afternoon bus with pickup and drop-off at the US-31 Meijer location parking lot. The bus, offered for a small fee to families, will pick up students at 8:15 a.m., and drop them off in the afternoon at 4:15 p.m.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:15 a.m. - Bus pickup at Meijer Parking Lot (optional)
- 8:45 a.m. - 9 a.m. - Student Drop off at Community School
- 9 a.m. - 11 a.m. - Activities at Community School
- 11 a.m. - 11:45 a.m. - Lunch at Lochaven Cafeteria (Interlochen’s Main Campus)
- 12 p.m. - 3 p.m. - Activities on Interlochen’s Main Campus
- 3 p.m. - 3:15 p.m. - Travel back to Community School
- 3:15 p.m. - 3:45 p.m. - End of day “Campfire”
- 3:45 p.m. - 4 p.m. - Student Pick up at Community School
- 4:15 p.m. - Bus drop off at Meijer Parking Lot
Students should bring with them each day:
- Bug spray
- Water bottle
- Interlochen lanyard (provided)
- Closed-toed shoes
- Jacket, sweatshirt, or rain jacket
- Snacks (optional – we provide 2 each day)
- Bathing suit, towel (Tuesdays & Thursdays only)
- White T-shirt to Tie-Dye (Tuesday)