Obtaining a Visa for Interlochen Arts Academy

International students who do not possess permanent residency or U.S. citizenship are required to obtain a nonimmigrant student visa from the U.S. Embassy in their country of residence prior to matriculation. Please note that Canadian students are required to obtain an I-20 for study, but are not required to have an F-1 visa. Here is more information on embassy wait times.

New Students – Student visas for new students can be issued up to 120 days in advance of the start date for a course of study. However, you will not be allowed to enter the United States on your student visa more than 30 days before the start date.

Continuing Students  Student visas for continuing students may be issued at any time, as long as you are currently enrolled at a SEVP-approved school or institution and in SEVIS. Continuing students do not need to apply for a new visa as long as their current visa is still valid. Continuing students may enter the United States at any time before classes start.

The Office of Admission & Financial Aid will issue an invitation to apply for a student visa when parents have submitted the required documents outlined below:

  1. Current Certificates of Finance demonstrating ability to meet the total estimated educational costs for Interlochen. We must receive proof of financial support for the first academic year of study at Interlochen as well as the potential for continued financial support for the remainder of your program. The minimum amount of funding provided must equal or exceed the expenses noted below.
  2. A copy of the student’s passport photo page. In order to process your student visa, we require a copy of the student’s passport photo page.

Submit Required Documents

Prepare for Your Visa Appointment

You will need to take these documents to your interview:

You may also be requested to provide additional documents, such as:

  • Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools you attended
  • Standardized test scores required by your U.S. school
  • Your intent to depart the United States upon completion of the course of study
  • How you will pay all educational, living and travel costs.