Academy FAQs

You surely have questions about Interlochen Arts Academy—and we have answers. Below are our most frequently asked questions, with helpful answers and links. Please also review the Student Handbook for rules and guidelines for your time at Arts Academy. For new students, please be sure to review the New Student Checklist.

If you still have questions that are not answered here, please reach out to Student Affairs and we'll be happy to help: | 231.276.7378

Pre-Arrival and Move-In

Where can I send packages ahead of time?

Please address any packages to:

For USPS mail:
Student Name
PO Box 200
Interlochen, MI 49643-0200

For UPS and FedEx:
Student Name
9900 Diamond Park Road
Interlochen, MI 49643-0200

*PLEASE NOTE: Please do not mail packages to the Academy before August 15, as we have limited storage for packages during our Camp season. Our shipping and receiving department will be provided with the final housing decisions and distribute the packages during the opening weekend. Once you are moved in, incoming packages should be marked with your residence hall name.

When will I find out who my roommate is and/or what Residence Hall am I assigned to?
All students will need to complete the Housing Form, which is found in the Education Community. We will notify you of your roommate and housing situation during orientation.

When can I move into my room?
You may begin moving into your room upon your arrival. It must not interfere with completing the registration process or planned activities during Opening Weekend. 

What size are the beds?
Beds are standard twin size. We do have the ability to place students in beds with longer mattresses, if necessary.  

Can I bring a refrigerator?
Yes! Your housing will accommodate a compact-size refrigerator, up to 3.1 cubic feet.

Do you provide access to washer and dryers?
Washers and dryers are in the basement of each residence hall and are equipped with the electronic payment system, PayRange.  Scan the QR code on the machines to bring up additional information, or see this flyer for details. We also have laundry service available from a third-party vendor. You can sign up for this service by filling out the Laundry Service Request Form in the Education Community.

How do I put money in my student's account?
You can deposit money into your student’s account online through the Education Community or by contacting the Business Office at 231.276.7348.

Will I be able to participate in religious services?
Arts Academy students represent a wide range of religious affiliations and interests. Our local area offers worship opportunities to nearly all students. Transportation is provided to area worship services free of charge. Students may also form groups for on-campus study and fellowship, which serve much like religious youth groups at home. Adult sponsors, approved by the Arts Academy, are required for such groups.

Interlochen recognizes each student’s and employee’s right to observe a day that is sacred to his or her faith. Those individuals may seek permission through the Student Affairs office to be excused as needed from required events, activities, or class days, and are not penalized.

Contact Student Affairs: | 231.276.7378

How do I buy books?
The Scholarshop has books available for purchase during Opening Weekend and before the semester starts, online. 

What classroom supplies do I need to bring?
Please review the What to Pack page. Furthermore, other supplies/materials may be communicated by teachers on the first day of school. These supplies are available at The Scholarshop.

How can students submit a Senior Photo for the yearbook?
Seniors and post-graduates have the option of turning in their own picture to represent them in the D'Art Interlochen Yearbook. If you choose to not turn in your own creative photo, your Timeless Image portrait “school photo” will be used. Submission guidelines and deadlines will be communicated through our weekly edition of Provost News.

When will I receive a bill for tuition?
Statements for Arts Academy tuition are sent by early July. The first payment is due on August 1. Payments may be made through the Education Community.

When can I sign up for courses?
Course signup begins in June. You will receive a notification when courses are available. You'll then be able to log in to the Education Community to sign up for courses.

When will I know who my Academic and College Counselor is?
Your Academic and College Counselor will reach out to you within one month of your enrollment. Once assigned, your Counselor's contact details will be visible in the Education Community.

End of the School Year

Do I need to order a cap and gown for graduation?
We take care of ordering cap and gowns for all graduating students. They will be distributed to the residence halls in mid-May. 

Are there end-of-year performances that parents can attend?
Classes end on Tuesday of the final week of school. Beginning Wednesday, the days are filled with student activities, artistic presentations, and formal ceremonies. This is called Festival. All concerts and presentations are free of charge but many require tickets due to limited seating.

Do I need tickets for graduation?
No. Both Honors Convocation and Commencement ceremonies are held in our covered, outdoor Kresge Auditorium, which seats approximately 4,000 and provides plenty of room for families and friends. Audience members are encouraged to dress warmly.

Honors Convocation on Friday night and Commencement on Saturday morning are both formal ceremonies with graduates, faculty, and staff in full academic regalia. Both events are General Admission and tickets are not required.

Is there summer storage available for returning students?
If you need to store your items over the summer, you need to use our official storage provider, Dorm Room Movers. This is the only process available for storage. Dorm Room Movers will send you boxes and tape, and then pick up your items, store them while you’re away, and deliver everything back before you return. If you are graduating, Dorm Room Movers can also ship boxes home or to your new school! Signup is available in the spring — see Provost News for details.

Can I ship my belongings home, or to my college?
If your student will not be returning to Interlochen, you can have their belongings shipped either home or to their college in the fall. See the Student Handbook for details.

Are there hotel accommodations available to parents and families?
Interlochen has various on-campus accommodations available to families. Please contact the Stone Hotel to check availability.