How to Apply
All applications for Interlochen Arts Academy are submitted online. You will need the materials listed below to complete your application. You can start the application now and submit them once the materials are retrieved:
- Transcripts from the last three years (unofficial transcripts are fine)
- Contact information for a school principal or guidance counselor
- Optional contact information for a non-family member recommender
- Optional SSAT test scores
- If you are an international applicant, English language testing results through DuoLingo
Step 1: Register at our Academy Education Community
Register for an account at application.interlochen.org using your email address. Both you and your parents/guardians should have separate accounts. You can save your progress and exit at any time. We also accept the Standard Application Online (SAO). If you have completed the SAO, you will hear from an admission representative regarding next steps.
Step 2: Fill out the Application
The application consists of the following sections:
- Student and family contact information. This includes your intended Interlochen major.
- Student writing responses (only completed using student account). These are short essays where you can tell us a bit more about yourself, your artistic path, and your goals.
- Parent writing responses (only completed using parent account). These will help us gain a more holistic understanding of your child.
- Recommendations. Your school principal or guidance counselor must fill out one recommendation. The other is optional.
- Admission Documents. Here is where you can upload transcripts and test scores. If you are an international applicant, please note that all application materials should be translated, including transcripts.
Step 3: Upload Your Audition/Portfolio
Your audition/portfolio materials show your artistic readiness. The appropriate faculty member will review the work you submit in your application. Every major has its own audition or portfolio requirement. Please review them carefully before submitting your materials.
Audition & Portfolio Requirements
Step 4: Apply for Financial Aid
If you are interested in merit- or need-based financial assistance, complete the FAST application. International students can apply for financial assistance through the FAST application as well.
Learn more about Financial Aid
Step 5: Review & Submit
Make sure to review your application before submitting. When you feel it is ready, pay the application fee (of $65 for domestic students and $100 for international students) and submit.
It is very important that you submit all materials by the posted deadline. The dates for the 2023-2024 academy year are the following:
Early Decision Deadline: Nov. 15
Secure your place in our dynamic artist community ahead of those applying for the regular decision deadline and get first access to financial aid opportunities.
Decision Sent: Dec. 10
Decision Reply Date: Jan. 11
Regular Decision Deadline: Jan. 15
Decision Sent: March 10
Decision Reply Date: April 19
Rolling Decision Deadline: Ongoing as space permits
Decision Reply Date: Beginning March 15, applicants will be notified of an admission decision within three weeks of application completion.
Apply Now for the 2023-2024 Academy Year
Interlochen Arts Academy admits qualified students of any race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, gender identity or expression, religion, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other status protected by applicable law, and extends to them all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. Interlochen Arts Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, gender identity or expression, religion, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other status protected by applicable law, in the administration of its educational, admission, financial aid, artistic, and other school-administered programs.