Summer is live at Interlochen!
Join us for a limited series of concerts in August.
Tickets go on sale Tuesday, June 22.
Patty Smith was born and raised in Petoskey, Michigan. Smith received her Master of Fine Arts from Arizona State University and her Bachelor of Fine Arts from Northern Michigan University, both degrees concentrated in metalsmithing and jewelry design. Since 2008, she has served as an instructor of visual arts at Interlochen Arts Academy. She teaches metalsmithing, sculpture, and various visual arts core courses and has served as interim director of the Visual Arts Division on numerous occasions. In addition to teaching at the Academy, Smith has served as the metalsmithing and sculpture instructor, interim division director, and visual arts building manager for Interlochen Arts Camp. Recently, she taught for Interlochen Online. Before her work at Interlochen, she taught at Northern Michigan University and Arizona State University. In 2018, while on sabbatical, Smith was the artist-in- residence at Villa Barr in Novi, Michigan. Her jewelry, metalwork, and sculpture are exhibited regionally, nationally, and internationally in museums and galleries. Influenced by the Great Lakes region, her artwork explores repetition and cycles through mark-making, texture, form, and process. The impact of the glacial activity on the landscape often serves as a personal metaphor for her artwork. A selection of artwork can be viewed on her website, www.pattymetalsmith.com.
My objectives as a teacher are to guide students on a path of discovery and self-awareness while fostering critical thinking and introspection related to the larger context of their place in the world. I assess my students’ artwork based on evidence of personal growth, artistic risks, and the connection between the conceptual and physical expression of materials.
- Fall 2018 Sabbatical Awarded, Interlochen Arts Academy
- Fall 2018 Artist-in-Residence, Villa Barr, Novi, MI
- Publication - 500 Gemstone Jewels: A Sparkling Collection of Dazzling Designs, Lark Crafts
- Professional Affiliations/Membership:
- Society of North American Goldsmiths
- American Craft Council
- Ethical Metalsmiths
- Midwest Metalsmiths
- Michigan Silversmiths Guild
- Michigan Art Education Association
- National Art Education Association
- Selected Exhibitions
- We Are SNAG Anthology 2021 Virtual Member Exhibition
- Open Up Nederlands Zilvermuseum (Dutch Silver Museum), Schoonhoven, NL
- Northwest Regional Juried Exhibition Dennos Art Museum, Traverse City, MI
- New View: Home/Place Glen Arbor Arts Center, Glen Arbor, MI Honorable Mention Exhibition
- Furniture, Fiber, Photography, and Sculpture Oliver Art Center, Frankfort, MI
- Nurture Nature Cowell Family Cancer Center, Traverse City, MI
- In Transit Zoom Milwaukee Conference, Milwaukee WI
- North of the 45th DeVos Art Museum, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI
- Society of North American Goldsmiths ASU Alumni Exhibition Tempe, AZ
- Academy Faculty Exhibition Dow Visual Arts Gallery, Annual Exhibition, Interlochen Center for the Arts, Interlochen, MI
- Summer Camp Faculty and Staff Exhibition Dow Visual Arts Gallery, Annual Exhibition Interlochen Center for the Arts Interlochen, MI
B.F.A., Jewelry and Metalsmithing - Northern Michigan University
M.F.A., Metalsmithing - Arizona State University