Summer is live at Interlochen!
Join us for a limited series of concerts in August.
Tickets go on sale Tuesday, June 22.
Elijah Van Benschoten
As a painter, drawer, printmaker, and photographer, Elijah Van Benschoten maintains a vigorous multidisciplinary studio practice as well as an active college teaching career. Van Benschoten has maintained a long-term project of documenting daily art practice beginning in 2008 with 1,000 consecutive days of producing at least one drawing per day, 1,000 consecutive days of color study works, 1,000 consecutive days of figure study drawings, and 1,000 consecutive days of painting. Currently, he is over 500 days into another 1,000 days of daily painting. His work has been shown in galleries and museums across 15 states and on two continents. In 2003, Van Benschoten earned a B.F.A. in Painting from Siena Heights University and later an M.F.A. in painting from Syracuse University in 2006. Originally a Michigan native, Elijah has taught at various schools in New York, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kentucky, Michigan, and Ohio.
Regardless of the medium I'm teaching, my primary focus in any course is to teach the importance of craftsmanship and a strong work ethic. Beyond that, I believe it's also important to establish a positive, enjoyable atmosphere for the class in which students know they can ask questions, express themselves freely, and take risks with their work.
- 61 exhibitions including 11 one/two/three-person exhibitions
- Work shown in 15 states and on two continents
- Over 4,000 consecutive days of work completed on 1,000-day projects
- 132 college courses and approximately 2,800 students taught at 13 different colleges and universities
- 2017 Artist in Residence – Vermont Studio Center – Johnson, VT
- 2012 Artist in Residence (Partial Fellowship) – Vermont Studio Center – Johnson, VT
- 2011 Artist in Residence – Kimmel Harding Nelson Center for the Arts – Nebraska City, NE
- 2011 Award of Excellence – 5th Annual Art at the X – Xavier University
- 2011 NNAC Benefactor Award – 24th Annual Northern National Art Competition – Nicolet College
- 2010 Award of Excellence – 21st Annual New Jersey Small Works Show – Mikhail Zakin Gallery
- 2006 College of Visual and Performing Arts Community Service Award – Syracuse University
- 2006 Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award – Syracuse University
- 2003 Outstanding Art Student – Siena Heights University
- 2003 Purchase Award – Siena Heights University
M.F.A., Painting - Syracuse University
B.F.A., Painting - Siena Heights University