Recording and Producing Music for Beginners
This hands-on course will teach you how to record and produce music at home. You will learn how to record with a microphone, at the appropriate levels, into a digital audio workstation (DAW) and use that software to build and shape what you record into great-sounding music.
You will develop a solid understanding of the basic features of a DAW so that you can create tracks using functions such as solo, mute, record enable, monitor, and fader. You will also learn to edit tracks using quantize settings and take advantage of audio and MIDI loops.
The course explores how to use effects plug-ins and mix your tracks using panning, EQ, and reverb to heighten the quality of the sound of your music. Within four weeks, you will be able to showcase your skills with a multi-track recording and mix that applies all that you learned in the course.
What you will learn:
✔ Use the basic features of a DAW, such as inputs/outputs, inspector, edit window, zones, mixer, region, toolbar, tempo, and ruler bar
✔ Set up to record with a microphone with proper mic levels
✔ Demonstrate signal flow and the proper connections
✔ Record tracks using functions such as solo, mute, record enable, monitor, and fader
✔ Quantize and perform other editing to tracks
✔ Use audio and MIDI loops
✔ Mix tracks using panning, EQ, and reverb
✔ Create a multi-track recording and mix
What you need to participate:
- Trial version of Cubase (Note: The trial version is good for 30 days, so make sure you install it at the start of the course.)
- Computer with Internet (Note: Make sure your computer is compatible with Cubase. You should have a minimum Internet speed of 1.5Mbps download and 800Kbps upload.)
- Audio interface (Recommendation: Focusrite Scarlett Series)
- Wired headphones for the audio interface (Recommendation: Sennheiser HD 280 PRO)
- Recording microphone (Recommendation: Avantone CK-6)
- (Optional) Two studio monitor speakers (Recommendations: Yamaha HS5, Behringer Truth B2031A)
- (Optional) The Singer-Songwriter’s Guide to Recording in the Home Studio
Jan. 17, 2023 - Feb. 11, 2023
Next Term Begins
Feb. 21, 2023
My daughter had a great experience with Interlochen Online. The teachers were so supportive and knowledgeable. I've noticed a huge difference in her confidence and self-esteem after taking the program. Kudos to the amazing teachers for their expertise and support.
Interlochen Online parent
Access Free Resources from Interlochen Online
Experience Interlochen Online with free tutorials and guides that teach you practical skills in the arts.