New: Interlochen Online to offer music and arts programs for adults.
Interlochen alumni nominated for 2023 Tony Awards
Josh Groban, Victoria Clark, and Michael Arden headline the 13 Arts Camp and Arts Academy alumni nominated for Broadway’s highest honor.
Eleven Interlochen Arts Camp and Arts Academy alumni are among the nominees for the 2023 Tony Awards.
Presented annually by The Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing, the Tony Awards celebrate excellence in Broadway theatre. Since their founding in 1947, the Tony Awards have been considered one of the most coveted awards in the entertainment industry. Nominees for the 26 award categories are selected by a committee of 40 independent theatre professionals appointed by the Tony Awards Administration Committee.
Five alumni received nominations in individual award categories:
- Best Original Score: Tom Kitt (IAC 90), Almost Famous
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical: Josh Groban (IAC 97-98), “Sweeney Todd,” Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
- Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical: Victoria Clark (IAC/NMC 77), “Kimberly,” Kimberly Akimbo
- Best Scenic Design of a Play: Dane Laffrey (IAC 99-01, IAC St 01), A Christmas Carol
- Best Direction of a Musical: Michael Arden (IAC 99, IAA 99-01), Parade
Twelve alumni were also among the casts and creative teams for award-nominated productions:
- Best Play: Leopoldstadt | Betsy Aidem (IAC/NMC 73), “Grandma Emilia”; Sarah Killough (IAA 04-06), “Eva”; Richard Winkler (IAC/NMC 58-63, 65), producer
- Best Musical:
- Kimberly Akimbo | Victoria Clark (IAC/NMC 77), “Kimberly”; Emily Koch (IAC 06-07, IAA 07-09), "Standby - Replacement"
- Some Like it Hot | Chloe Geller (IAA 13-17), Music Assistant; Brian Martin (IAC 04), "Ensemble"
- Best Revival of a Musical:
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street | Josh Groban (IAC 97-98), “Sweeney Todd”
- Parade | Michael Arden (IAC 99, IAA 99-01), director; Kristen Caskey (IAC/NMC 85-86), producer; Dane Laffrey (IAC 99-01, IAC St 01), scenic designer; Max Chernin (IAC 04), “Mr. Turner”
The 76th annual Tony Awards will be presented during an awards ceremony at United Palace in New York City on Sunday, June 11 at 8 p.m. ET. The ceremony will air live on the CBS television network, and will also be available to stream on Paramount+.
Interlochen’s high performing alumni routinely receive commendations in the nation’s most prestigious arts award programs. To date, Interlochen alumni have earned 146 Grammy Awards, 30 Tony Awards, 26 Emmy Awards, and three Academy Awards, as well as Pulitzer and Avery Fisher prizes and MacArthur Fellowships.
Did we miss an alumni nominee? Let us know by emailing us at email@example.com.