1) All students in grades 8-11 during the 2021-2022 school year are eligible to apply.
2) Students must submit writing samples in at least two of the following genres and should should submit no more than 5 pieces total:
- Poetry: Your sample should include 1-4 poems/spoken word pieces.
- Fiction: Your sample should include 1-3 stories, novel or story excerpts, or flash fiction pieces. Each piece should be fewer than 3,500 words.
- Personal essay/memoir: Your sample should include 1-3 essays. Each piece should be fewer than 3,500 words.
- Screenwriting: Your sample should be fewer than 20 pages.
- Playwriting: Your sample should be fewer than 20 pages.
- Experimental/unclassifiable writing: Your sample should include 1-3 hybrid genre / experimental pieces. Each piece should be fewer than 3,500 words.
- Comics: Your sample can include anything from a single detailed image to a multi-page spread.
3) Please submit all written work as PDF files. Video/audio may be submitted as mp3, mp4, .mov, or YouTube links. Include the name of the genre in the file name. For example, if you are submitting poetry and personal essay, you should create separate PDF files titled "poetry" and "personal essay." Text-based work should be typed, in a standard format and font, double-spaced for prose, single-spaced for poetry—unless deviations are deliberate and integral to the text.
To preserve the anonymity of entries, please do not include your name within the document or the file name.
4) Submissions will be accepted until Sunday, October 31st at 11:59 pm ET.
5) Because we extended the submission deadline, students who are moving forward in the contest will be notified by the end of November. Those moving forward will be required to complete a formal application to Interlochen Arts Academy by January 15th, 2022 in order to remain eligible. Application fee waivers will be provided.
6) The first prize scholarship will cover full tuition to attend Interlochen Arts Academy.
7) The winner will be notified and other entrants will be informed of their admission decision during the month of March. All applicants will be considered for financial aid.
8) If submissions do not meet the standards set by the judges, Interlochen Center for the Arts reserves the right to designate no first prize winner and award no scholarship.
9) Students currently enrolled at Interlochen Arts Academy are ineligible for this contest.
Submission must be received in Submittable no later than 11:59 p.m. EDT October 31, 2021.
If you have any questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.