In between classes and rehearsals, amidst your busy schedule and artistic projects, you will also find time for an equally important aspect of the Interlochen Arts Academy experience: friendship.
Residence life at Interlochen Arts Academy is an integral part of your artistic journey. Lifelong bonds are created in the studios and stages of our campus, but they are also found outside the classroom and in our residence halls.
The Student Activities Committee schedules regular weekend activities and social programs where you can relax and have fun. These include a number of our beloved annual traditions that you'll look forward to each year.
- House Clash - Compete against houses in a series of fast-paced contests for the chance to win bragging rights and an all-house pizza party!
- Halloween - Never mind that you may not have trick-or-treated since elementary school. Get dressed up and grab your pillow case to fill with goodies as you make the rounds to faculty homes on campus!
- Holiday Dinner - Celebrate the end of the first semester with a fancy sit-down dinner. Dress to impress!
- Super Bowl Party - Cheer on your favorite team, commercial, or half-time performer! We'll bring snacks, swag, and lots of team spirit.
- Oscar Watch Party - Flaunt your film knowledge, applaud your favorite actors, and see how many Oscar winners you can pick.
- Fabuary - We make the most of our snowy season with a Winterlochen Weekend filled with outdoor activities for students and our young local neighbors. Boots required.
- Street Beat - Our annual end-of-year carnival is a full of games, activities, treats, music, and more.
- Festival - A three-day celebration of art featuring nearly nonstop performances by students of all grades and majors.
- MORP - Our answer to prom includes formal attire, brunch, dancing, and a fun-filled after-party.
I’m from Brooklyn. So having the opportunity to live surrounded by nature is one of the best things about campus. Boarding at Interlochen has allowed me to grow in every aspect of my life. I've learned how to organize my daily schedule and manage my academic, artistic work, and social life. I can go to the gym, eat, and create with my friends. Plus, everything is a walk away! Being far away from home can be challenging but the Residence Life team is always open to help—like Houseparents with hot cocoa or tea, Hall Coordinators with fun activities, and just having an open door to listen.
Clubs and Organizations
Our student organizations are a great way to meet new people. You'll be able to explore interests beyond your major and connect with students from across all disciplines. Can't find your particular niche? You can start your own club!
Clubs vary by year based on student interest. Recent clubs include:
- The Audio Drama Club
- The Jewish Student Union
- Students Demand Action
- The Black Student Union
- The Autism Acceptance Group
- The Traditional Chinese Art Club
- The Theatre Depot
- The Interlochen Podcast Cooperative
- The Fighting Blueberries
- Junior State of America
- The People of Color Student Union
- The Young Feminist Club
- The Student Sustainability Club
- The Scouts
Dennison Center for Recreation and Wellness
Ready to run, climb, lift, stretch, and move? The Dennison Center for Recreation and Wellness is a 23,000-square-foot facility that boasts a large gymnasium, weight and fitness studios, game room, climbing wall, and more. With top-of-the-line fitness equipment, free fitness classes, intramural sports tournaments, and school-sponsored sports, there's a way for everyone to enjoy getting exercise.
Fitness classes like yoga, barre, Zumba, and more, are led by licensed instructors each semester. The Dennison Center also hosts regular intramural sports leagues and tournaments—as well as our school-sponsored Fighting Blueberries sports teams that compete against local high schools. Learn more about the Dennison Center
More of an outdoorsy-type? Our gorgeous, wooded campus is perfect for joggers, hikers, cyclists, and the like.