Megan Baxter holds an MFA in Creative Nonfiction from Vermont College of the Fine Arts and a BFA in Poetry from Goddard College. In 2004, when she graduated from Interlochen Arts Academy as a Creative Writing Major, Baxter was honored as a Presidential Scholar in the Arts.
Baxter's first book ‘The Coolest Monsters, A Collection of Essays’ was published in 2018 by Texas Review Press. Her memoir ‘Farm Girl’ is forthcoming from Green Writers Press in 2021. Baxter is pleased to announce that her essay collection 'The Body(Electric) will be published by Mad Creek Books from Ohio State Press as part of their 21st Century Essay Series.
Baxter has won numerous national awards including a Pushcart Prize. Her work has been listed in The Best American Essays of 2019. Recent publications included pieces in The Threepenny Review, Hotel Amerika, The Florida Review, and Creative Nonfiction Magazine. Baxter serves as a mentor to young writers and loves developing cross-genre and innovative creative writing pedagogy for her workshops and classes. Baxter lives in New Hampshire where she loves walking her dogs, running, and cooking with local foods. She teaches writing at Colby-Sawyer College.
I believe in developing cross-genre and innovative creative writing pedagogy and engaging with young writers in a way that both encourages and challenges their understanding of the craft.
- 2019- Pushcart Prize, included in 2020 Pushcart Prize Collection
- 2019- Best American Essays 2019 Notable - Essay, A Memory of a Deliberate Thing I Said Once to My Skin
- 2018- Solstice Magazine Summer Contest, Winner, selected by Phillip Lopate
- 2018 - Faulkner Wisdom Competition - Runner Up, Nonfiction Book, Farm Girl
- 2017 - The Cincinnati Review Summer Contest, Finalist, Essay- Live Find
- 2017 - December Magazine, December Awards, Finalist, Essay - The Real Estate
- 2017 - Winner, Faulkner Wisdom Competition 2017
- 2016 - The Autumn House Press Full Length Nonfiction Contest, Finalist, The Coolest Monsters
- 2016 - Hippocrates Poetry Awards, Open Category, Finalist
- 2010 - Indiana Review's 1/2K Contest, Runner Up
- 2010 - The Georgetown Review, Runner Up in Annual Poetry Contest, The Deer Hunter
- 2004 - Presidential Scholar in the Arts, Poetry
Diploma, Creative Writing - Interlochen Arts Academy
B.F.A., Poetry - Goddard College
M.F.A., Creative Nonfiction - Vermont College of Fine Arts