Violist Lenny Schranze is an award-winning chamber musician and educator. A native of Philadelphia, he is a member of the Ceruti String Quartet and professor of viola at the Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music of the University of Memphis. He has taught at the Interlochen Arts Academy and the Fine Arts Center. As a chamber musician, Mr. Schranze has performed in concert halls around the country, including Carnegie Hall's Weill Recital Hall in New York City, and has performed internationally in Switzerland, South Korea, and Brazil. His solo recordings include the works for viola and piano by Robert Schumann, and the sonatas of Johannes Brahms. Reviews describe Mr. Schranze's viola playing as "passionate and beautifully resonant." Mr. Schranze has garnered awards from Chamber Music America for "excellence in chamber music instruction," He earned his degrees from the Eastman School of Music and the New England Conservatory, studying with Heidi Castleman, Heiichiro Ohyama, Dorothy Delay, Max Aronoff, and Evelyn Jacobs.
I have always loved teaching and the entire teaching process. Watching people grow as instrumentalists and musicians, and finding the triggers to help each of their individual learning styles is truly exciting for me. My overriding three-step mantra for teaching is always: “It’s about the kids, it’s about the kids, and - it’s about the kids!” Kids need to feel safe and supported to stretch themselves – this is true of any age level. We are fostering young performers, but we are also raising teachers, role models, and advocates for the arts.
- Dean's Creative Achievement Award - University of Memphis CCFA
- Commendation honoring String project work - American Strings Teachers Association
- Faculty Research Grant - University of Memphis
- Commendation - Ceruti String Quartet - Music Educators National Conference/Tennessee Music Educators Association
- Commendation - Ceruti String Quartet - Tennessee American String Teachers Association
- Gruber Chamber Music Award - Chamber Music America
B.M., Viola Performance - Eastman School of Music
M.M., Viola Performance - The New England Conservatory