Jane Berkner was described by Flute Talk Magazine as “a versatile performer...(and) outstanding musician." She is flutist and Artistic Director of Urban Troubadour, bringing roving concert events to venues in Northeast Ohio. According to a Clevelandclassical.com review: “in the crowded field of efforts to “disrupt” the world of staid programming, Urban Troubadour’s multi-part evenings feel distinct and vital.”
Ms. Berkner teaches at The Music Settlement in Cleveland, after 25 years in the School of Music at The University of Akron. The University of Akron Flute Ensemble was invited twice to perform for the National Flute Association under her direction, and she took the group on a performing tour of Italy in 2010. She was Director of Northeast Ohio Flute Association Flute Choirs from 1994-2014. The National Flute Association’s Flute Clubs and Choirs honored her as one of five Outstanding Flute Choir Directors in 2014, and she was Coordinator of the NFA’s High School Flute Choir from 2001 to 2006.
Named Outstanding Musician in the 2019 Akron Arts Alive Awards, she has played in the Akron, Ashland, Canton and Youngstown Symphonies, Ohio Ballet Orchestra, and for touring shows at EJ Thomas Hall in Akron, Playhouse Square in Cleveland, and Blossom Center’s Porthouse Theater. She has performed with the O’Neil Chamber Players, Garth Newel Chamber Players, Chamber Music Society of Ohio, and with Music Unites in Zurich, Switzerland. Along with Stephen Aron, the AronBerkner Duo has presented concerts across the US and Europe and released a CD, “Tropicale” on the Clear Note label. Their performances in Italy led to the formation of a summer music festival in Assisi. She performed with Singers Companye at the National Gallery in Washington, DC, and was invited to perform for National Flute Association conventions in Atlanta, Washington DC, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Chicago, Orlando, and New Orleans.
I strive to create a lively learning experience for our adult students, a place where they can feel comfortable while sharpening their musical skills.
- Inclusion on Ohio Arts Council’s Ohio Artists on Tour Roster
- Honorable Mention, NFA Convention Performers Competition
- Assistant to Program Chair, National Flute Association
- High School Flute Choir Coordinator, National Flute Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Ohio Arts Presenters Network (OAPN)
- Clevelandclassical.com review “Berkner’s flute sounded — well, magical”
- Sound Board Magazine on AaronBerkner Duo: “both…are gifted with lovely tone, exceptional technique, and a sense of unanimity that bespeaks much experience playing together.”
B.M., Flute Performance - Georgia State University
M.M., Flute Performance - University of Akron