Summer is live at Interlochen!
Join us for a limited series of concerts in August.
Tickets go on sale Tuesday, June 22.
Born in Flint, Michigan, Emily Mayo's work is deeply inspired by her spiritual upbringing, and focuses on compassion for the individual. Working in a variety of mediums including drawing and sculpture her pieces have been showcased in drawing exhibitions around the U.S. including Indiana, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, the Grand Rapids Art Museum in Michigan, and the Manifest Gallery in Cincinnati, Ohio. She has won several awards in these exhibitions. Her work has been featured in several publications including the 13th Manifest INDA, ArtMaze Magazine in London, and two drawing instructional books. Emily Mayo received an MFA in Drawing from Kendall College of Art and Design in 2018 and currently lives and works in Grand Rapids, MI, USA.
The act of art making is one of uncertainty. Taking place in an ever-changing art world with no absolutes, it requires determination, strong work ethic, courage and trust of self. I help my students develop these necessary characteristics by revealing their own strengths to them, exemplifying the work ethic of a successful artist, and instilling in them inspiration to create.
- 2020- Adjunct Professor, Kendall College of Art and Design, Grand Rapids, MI
- 2019- Adjunct Professor, Henry Ford College, Dearborn, MI
- 2021 Juried Exhibition, 12th Annual Drawing Discourse, International Contemporary Drawing Exhibition, University of North Carolina
- 2020 Solo Installation, Anastasis, Resurrection Life Church, Grandville, MI
- 2020 Solo Exhibition, Chorbah-Chadash, Ferris State University, Big Rapids, MI
- 2019 Juried Exhibition: 91st Michigan Contemporary Art Exhibition, Muskegon Art Museum, Muskegon, MI
- 2019 Juried Exhibition: Inhabit, Manifest Gallery, Cincinatti, OH
- 2018 Vermont Studio Center Residency Full Fellowship, Johnson, VT
- 2018 Ferris State University Purchase Award
- Drawing Discourse: 12th Annual Exhibition of Contemporary Drawing. Blurb, 2021, p. 94.
- Manifest International Drawing Annual 13. Manifest Press, 2019, pp. 100-02
- 2018 Vermont Studio Center, Johnson, VT, USA
- 2016 Golden Apple Artist Residency, Harrington, ME, USA
B.F.A., Drawing - Kendall College of Art and Design of Ferris State University
M.F.A., Drawing - Kendall College of Art and Design of Ferris State University