Timeline

2012

  • Interlochen Arts Academy celebrates their 50th anniversary with Academy student performances around the country. 
  • Interlochen Arts Academy adds the new Singer-Songwriter major starting in the 2012-13 academic year.
  • Creative writing student Nicole Acton becomes the 42nd Presidential Scholar from Interlochen Arts Academy.
  • Interlochen hosts its 2012 Symposium, "Information, Space and Time: The Arts, Creativity and Learning in the 21st Century."

2011

  • The new Upton-Morley Pavilion outdoor performance and rehearsal facility opens. 
  • Interlochen Arts Academy creates educational partnerships with two leading arts programs in Asia: the High School of the Shanghai Conservatory in Shanghai, China, and the School for the Arts in Singapore.
  • Interlochen Center for the Arts wins a W3 Award for its video “Moments.” Interlochen was recognized as “Best in Show” in the Non-Profit Web Video category. 
  • Creative writing student Delali Ayivor becomes the 41st Presidential Scholar from Interlochen Arts Academy.

2010

  • The Mallory-Towsley Center for Arts Leadership opens, home to Interlochen College of Creative Arts programs for adults.

2009

  • Interlochen Arts Academy adds the new Comparative Arts major.
  • Theatre student Steven Johnson becomes the 40th Presidential Scholar from Interlochen Arts Academy.

2008

  • The Herbert H. and Barbara C. Dow Center for Visual Arts is completed. The project was funded in part by the Dow Foundation, which gave $3 million toward the new project.
  • Interlochen Center for the Arts is honored at the 23rd Annual Governor’s Awards for Arts and Culture.

2006

  • Interlochen receives the National Medal of Arts, the nation's highest honor for artistic excellence.
  • The new Bonisteel Library opens.
  • DeRoy Center for Film Studies opens. It is the only building of its kind, dedicated to teaching film at the secondary level.

2005

  • The Motion Picture Arts program is added as a new art discipline. It is the first new arts discipline to be added since 1976.
  • Interlochen College of Creative Arts inaugurates its first season of educational programs for adults.
  • The $2 million Harvey Theatre Annex is dedicated to longtime Interlochen theater director Jim Harvey.

2003

  • Jeffrey S. Kimpton becomes Interlochen's seventh president.

2002

  • The Writing House opens. It is the first structure of its kind dedicated to the development of high school writers. An anonymous $2 million gift allowed construction to begin.

2000

  • Interlochen Public Radio launches a second station, featuring an all-news format.

1999

  • Interlochen completes campus-wide renovations and new construction totaling $16.1 million.

1998

  • Two new buildings are opened on campus: the Harvey Theatre and the Edward P. and Jessie Frohlich Piano and Percussion Building.

1996

  • The World Youth Symphony Orchestra performs at the Olympics. 

1994

  • A major gift helps fund a new studio and office building for Interlochen Public Radio (IPR).

1990

  • The National Music Camp changes its name to Interlochen Arts Camp. 

1987

  • Interlochen receives the National Governor's Association Award for distinguished service to the arts.

1976

  • The Creative Writing department is established with a grant from the Ford Foundation.

1975

  • The Grand Traverse Performing Arts Center, featuring the 1,000-seat Corson Auditorium, is dedicated. Visitors include President Gerald Ford and the First Lady, Bob Hope, and Benny Goodman. 

1963

  • WIAA, the Interlochen FM radio station, is built and begins operation.

1962

  • Interlochen Arts Academy, the country's first independent fine arts boarding high school, opens.
  • 103 musicians and 14 ballet dancers perform for President and Mrs. John F. Kennedy on the White House lawn.

1961

  • Van Cliburn begins his long association with Interlochen and presents his first benefit concert for the institution. The concerts evolve into a regular performing arts series.
  • NBC presents weekly taped programs, "The Best of Interlochen," which are broadcast around the world in 18 languages.

1958

  • Gifts from the W. Clement and Jessie V. Stone Foundation pay for construction of a new Interlochen Bowl Hotel, later re-named Stone Student Center.

1948

  • The Kresge Assembly Hall, made possible by a donation from the Kresge Foundation, is completed and "Dedicated to the Promotion of World Friendship Through the Universal Language of the Arts."

1940

  • Hildegarde Lewis establishes a dance department at Interlochen.

1939

  • Nine-year-old Lorin Maazel conducts the Camp orchestra in a high-profile performance at the New York World's Fair. Maazel goes on to become the conductor of the New York Philharmonic.

1932

  • The Camp becomes officially known as the National Music Camp. 

1931

  • John Philip Sousa returns to Interlochen and conducts 600 young musicians, drawing an audience of nearly 10,000
  • Howard Hanson conducts the first Interlochen performance of his Symphony No. 2 - "Romantic." The "Interlochen Theme" is based on this work.

1930

  • Dr. Maddy and an orchestra of 182 musicians give concerts at the Metropolitan Opera House in Philadelphia, Carnegie Hall in New York and Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C.
  • John Philip Sousa makes his first visit to Interlochen.
  • National radio broadcasts begin at Interlochen, raising the camp's national profile.

1928

  • The National High School Orchestra Camp opens.

1927

  • Following a second successful performance of the National High School Orchestra, Maddy organizes the National High School Orchestra Camp and forms a non-profit corporation. After a nationwide site search, he decides to hold the camp in Interlochen, Michigan. 

1926

  • Joseph Maddy leads two hundred and thirty students from 30 states in a performance of the first National High School Orchestra at the Music Supervisor's National Conference.

1923

  • Maddy and Giddings publish "The Universal Teacher," the first textbook for class instruction of band and orchestra in the public schools. It remains one of the most important documents in the history of music education.

Share: