The summer camp season runs from mid June until early August. Start and end dates vary from position to position, specifics will be provided as part of the interview process.
Why Spend Your Summers Working at Interlochen Arts Camp
A Unique Work Experience
Situated on 1,200 acres of forest and nestled between the shores of two crystal clear lakes, Interlochen Arts Camp annually employs more than 1,000 summer faculty and staff. The Camp provides a diverse and enriching arts-centered learning experience for more than 2,200 talented youth from around the world. Involvement in Interlochen Arts Camp not only makes a difference in the life of young artists, it also enriches the lives of those who work among the arts community each summer.
A Community of Artists
Interlochen Arts Camp cultivates an environment rich in community. The camp provides an opportunity to form bonds of friendship that often last a lifetime. Camp is a veritable beehive of activity. Campers and employees are required to wear the camp uniform. In the File Downloads section below please find the camp uniform policy and sample photos.
Make a Difference
The personal and professional rewards of leadership, service above self, and fellowship have been reflected by those working at the camp in the past. Additional advantages include networking with visiting faculty and staff from prestigious colleges and conservatories, options for private lessons and exposure to world-class performers.
Interlochen Arts Camp offers a "true camp" experience. Summer staff positions include dormitory or rustic cabin lodging and a daily cafeteria meal plan. Enjoy a canoeing excursion, a state-of-the-art challenge course, basketball, tennis and beach volleyball. Campfires, hiking trails and social activities among the pines contribute to the overall camp experience. The northwest corner of Michigan, centered around Traverse City, has long been deemed a vacation paradise.
Entertainment & Performance Opportunities
The world-class Interlochen Presents concert series, which boasts 750 annual performances by students, faculty and guest artists, is in full swing during the summer season. Additionally, camp community members are encouraged to participate in staff ensemble performances.
If you're looking for a fulfilling camp experience, where the work is challenging and fun and where you share in the enthusiasm of achievement, we invite you to consider Interlochen. You can find job postings and all application materials online. Interlochen Center for the Arts is fully committed to providing equal opportunities for all, without regard to race,color, national origin, sex, marital status, physical ability or age. The organization is committed to cooperating with local, state and federal government agencies in an effort to ensure equality.
Overview of Summer Positions Filled Each Year
Interlochen Arts Camp hires over 900 employees each summer in over 100 different positons. Below are the various positons filled each summer.
Instructor of Music
Instructor of Motion Picture Arts
Instructor of Environmental Science
Instructor of Alexander Technique
Instructor of Music
Instructor of Yoga
Instructor of Visual Arts
Instructor of Dance
Instructor of Theatre Arts
Instructor of Creative Writing
Visual Art Gallery and Presentations Coordinator
Manager of Staff and Studio Operations
Visual Arts Studio Assistant
Studio Technician Visual Arts
Kaminski Dance Assistant
Assistant Choreographer Theatre
Assistant to the Director Theatre
Teaching Assistants: Brass, Piano, String, Percussion, Theory/Comp, Winds, Harp
Creative Writing Assistant
Motion Picture Arts Staff Assistant- Animation, Documentary, Production
Institute Faculty Music
Institute Staff Music
Institute Faculty Theatre
Institute Faculty Visual Arts
Institute Faculty Dance
Institute Collaborative Musician-Dance
Academic Library Intern
Music Reference Intern
Ensemble Librarian Intern
Alumni Engagement Internship
Instrument Services Assistant
Repair Technician String (Orchestral)
Instrument Repair Technician Band
Education Office Assistant
Apprentice Designer/Stitcher Costume, Super Stitcher Costume, Stitcher/Costume Assistant
Junior Assistant Theatre
Assistant Technical Director
Assistant Technical Director-Scenic Designer
Production Lead Stage Technician
Production Lead Audio Technician
Box Office Staff
Box Office Supervisor
Marketing and Communications Internship
Information Booth Coordinator
Program Office Supervisor
Program Office Staff
Scheduling Office Assistant
Assistant Percussion Coordinator
Stage Services Manager
Stage Services Assistant
Cash Receipts Clerk
Retail Store Staff
Staff Hall Counselor
Pedestrian Safety Officer
Dining Services Manager
Dining Services Attendant
Salad Prep Staff
Melody Cafe Clerk
Coffee Tent Barista
Stone Hotel Desk Staff
Minnesota Building Host
Residence Life /Recreation/Waterfront/Ropes Course
Camp Life Division Assistant Director
Cabin Counselor/Unit Leader
Cabin Counselor/Recreation Director
Cabin Counselor/Waterfront Director
Cabin Counselor (7 week position)
Institute Division Director
Institute Assistant Director
Institute Cabin Counselor (1½ week position)
Institute Office Manager
Recreation/Challenge Course Lead
Recreation/Challenge Course Assistant
Stone Waterfront /Boat Cave Director
Lifeguard/Small Craft Instructor
Lead Craft Instructor
Coordinator of Health Services Assistants
Health Services Assistant
Camp Nurse Supervisor
Health Services Secretary
Camp Health Care Provider
We are not currently accepting applications for summer positions. We will begin accepting applications for summer 2015 in January.
Frequently Asked Questions
- All correspondence must be made through the Human Resources office.
- Answers to Summer Camp Jobs can be answered at 231.276.7342 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., EDT, Monday-Friday.
- Visit http://camp.interlochen.org/ to learn more about Interlochen Arts Camp and its programs.
Timeline for Summer Hiring
- New staff hiring typically begins after the first of the year
- Most camp positions do not have an application deadline date. We hire on a rolling basis until all positions are full. If a position does have a deadline, it will be indicated in the job description.
The Application Process
- International applicants can only be hired if they are able to obtain a Visa on their own. Interlochen is unable to assist with this process.
- International applicants who are on an F-1 Visa must apply for a CPT or OPT through their college/university. Please begin this process as soon as an employment agreement has been received as this process can often take awhile.
- Resumes and cover letters are not required but are recommended. These documents can be uploaded to your application once it has been submitted.
- Some positions require supplemental application materials, read requirements closely.
- Applications will not be screened until all application materials are received, including three completed references and any supplemental materials.
- We will screen applications in the order of interest indicated on your application. Your application is screened position by position (not by all positions at the same time). If a position is full we will send your application to your next preference automatically and without notification.
- Screening of applications normally takes two to three weeks. Supervisors will contact applicants via email or phone to schedule the interview. Most departments require a phone interview (Skype may also be an option).
- Applications must have three references listed on the application with an email address. Reference forms are automatically sent to those listed once the application is submitted.
- Please contact anyone you list as a reference and let them know that they will be receiving a form to complete via email. Interlochen Arts Camp requires three character references for each applicant. Individuals who can be listed as character references include: current and past teachers, current and past employers, supervisors, adult co-worker, Interlochen Alumni, clergy, etc. Reference forms will NOT BE ACCEPTED if done by family members or minors.