Interlochen is located about 4 hours from Detroit and 6 hours from Chicago by car. Our summers are warm and sunny and there's plenty of water and woods for play. Winters are snowy so we have skiing, skating, sledding, snowmobiling, and snowshoeing. Interlochen's campus lies between two lakes and has a picturesque mix of state-of-the-art and rustic buildings, performance halls and other nooks and crannies. View satellite imagery of the Interlochen area, courtesy of Google Earth.
The Traverse City Convention & Visitors Bureau, MyNorth.com, Traverse City Chamber of Commerce and Interlochen Chamber of Commerce have more information about the area, including dining, shopping, accomodations, and attractions.
Our street address is:
Interlochen Center for the Arts
4000 S. M-137 Hwy.
Interlochen, MI 49643
Driving Directions (the "insiders" route)
- Get to the Cadillac Michigan area:
- From Grand Rapids and southwestern parts of Michigan: take US 131 north.
- From Lansing and central Michigan: take US 127 north, then bear west on M-115.
- From Flint and southeastern parts of Michigan: take Interstate 75 north to US 10 west to M-115.
- Near Cadillac, go north on M-115 to the Manistee River, approximately one-half mile past the village of Mesick, Michigan.
- Cross the Manistee River bridge and proceed one-quarter mile to County Road 9 -- it's the first road past the bridge and is marked with a small green "N 9 RD" street sign on a pole. You'll pass a green "Interlochen" sign on the right shoulder about 50 yards before the intersection.
- Turn right onto County Road 9, go up the hill, and proceed 7.4 miles to the stop sign which will be at County Line Road -- it's marked by a small green "W County Line" street sign, and you'll see a green "Interlochen" sign on the right side of the road just before the intersection.
- Turn left onto County Line Road and proceed exactly 1 mile to the first intersection, marked with a green "Karlin Road" street sign (Karlin Road is Grand Traverse County 137, which becomes Michigan 137 near Interlochen). Look for a green "Interlochen" sign on the right just before Karlin Road.
- Turn right onto Karlin Road and proceed 9.7 miles to the Interlochen Center for the Arts. The campus entrance is on the left, just past the Interlochen State Park.
If you get lost along the way, call the Interlochen switchboard (open 24 hours) for help at (231) 276-7200. You can also get detailed driving directions from your location from Google Maps.
Traveling by Air
Cherry Capital Airport in Traverse City (code: TVC) is about 15 miles northeast of Interlochen. Airlines serving Traverse City include:
For shuttle service from the airport to Interlochen, call 231.276.7200 at least 24 hours before your flight. Rental cars are also available at the airport:
Grand Rapids Airport (code: GRR), approximately 120 miles south of Interlochen, is the next closest commercial airport. It sometimes offers cheaper fares and better flight availability if you don't mind renting a car and driving (it takes about 2 hours and 15 minutes).