Alumnus Benjamin Walker in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012). Image courtesy of 20th Century Fox.
Fall is a favorite season for many. For some, it’s a time for cozy sweaters, warm spices, and hot apple cider. Others look forward to fall for Halloween, haunted houses, and scary movies.
Picking the perfect horror flick for your monster mash or creepy night in can be a challenge: The broad genre ranges from the paranormal to the psychological and from cheap B-screams to blockbuster classics. Keep an eye out for these Interlochen alumni as you make your selection.
Jackson Rathbone (IAA 01-03)
Best known for his role as Jasper Hale in the Twilight series, Rathbone is no stranger to the horror genre and leads our list with four credits. He leads the cast of Dread (2009) as Stephen Grace, with other appearances including Jacob in City of Dead Men (2014), Conrad Coltrane in Hurt (2009), and Connor in Pray for Morning (2006).
Dermot Mulroney (IAC 79)
While Mulroney is best known as the romantic lead in My Best Friend’s Wedding and The Wedding Date, he’s also a three-film veteran of the horror genre. Mulroney can be seen as Sean Brenner in Insidious: Chapter 3, Reeves McCree in Silent Tongue (1993), and the title character in The Rambler (2013).
Rumer Willis (IAA 02-04)
Willis, the daughter of actors Demi Moore and Bruce Willis, began acting at age five and has earned 40 screen credits since her debut. Among those are From Within (2008) as Natalie, Sorority Row (2009) as Ellie, and The Ganzfeld Haunting (2014) as Lucky.
Jennifer Lynch (IAA 84-86)
The daughter of filmmaker David Lynch, Jennifer Lynch made her horror debut as a child, appearing as “Little Girl” in her father’s film Eraserhead (1977). Lynch’s later horror credits are on the other side of the camera, as the writer and director of Hisss (2010) and Chained (2012).
Ben Foster (IAC 94-95)
Although Foster cut his teeth as the star of Disney’s Flash Forward series, he’s best known for his intense performances in action movies including X-Men: The Last Stand, Alpha Dog, and Hell or High Water. Foster has also appeared in three horror films: Pandorum (2009) as Bower; 30 Days of Night (2007) as the Stranger; and 11:14 (2003) as Eddie.
Tom Hulce (IAC/NMC 66-67, IAA 69-70)
Following his Academy Award-nominated performance in Amadeus, Hulce appeared in the horror films Black Rainbow (1989) and Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein (1994). He’s perhaps best known as the voice of Quasimodo in Disney’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Dwjuan Fox (IAA 87-89)
You won’t find Fox on the screen, but the visual artist-turned-producer has lent his talents to a number of horror films, including Needlestick (2017), Holidays (2016), High Voltage (2019), and the horror anthology XX (2017).
Many other Interlochen alumni have tried their hand at horror. The following alumni had starring or supporting roles in just one feature-length horror film:
- Shane Bagwell (IAA 15-17) — The Wretched (2019) — Second assistant camera
- Meredith Baxter (IAA 63-64) — Ben (1972) — “Eve Garrison”
- Kristian Bruun (IAC 90-92) — Ready or Not (2019) — "Fitch"
- Jennifer Ehle (IAA 85-87) — Saint Maud (2019) — "Amanda"
- Tovah Feldshuh (IAC/NMC 63-65) — Angelica (2015) — “Nora”
- Linda Hunt (IAA 62-64) — The Relic (1997) — “Dr. Ann Cuthbert”
- Elizabeth Marvel (IAC 82-83, IAA 83-87) — Swallow (2019) — "Katherine Conrad"
- Jaime Ray Newman (IAC 91-93, 95) — Game of Assassins (2013) — “Emma”
- Da’Vine Joy Randolph (IAC 03) — The Secrets of Emily Blair (2016) — “Fran”
- Anthony Rapp (IAC 85-86) — Grave Secrets (1989) — “Jamie”
- Amanda Schull (IAC 92) — Devil’s Gate (2017) — “Agent Daria Francis”
- Al Silber (IAC 95-99, IAA 99-01) — 1408 (2007) — “Young Woman at Book Signing”
- Toni Trucks (IAC 97, IAA 98-99) — Scare Package (2019) — "Franchesca"
- Benjamin Walker (IAC 98, IAA 99-00) — Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012) — “Abraham Lincoln”
- Kit Williamson (IAA 02-04) — 12 Hour Shift (2020) — "Officer Myers"
Not feeling up for hard-core horror? You can catch Interlochen alumni in lighter-hearted Halloween films, such as Zach Woods (IAC 97-98) as “Tour Guide Garrett” in the 2016 remake of Ghostbusters. Video game lovers can hear the voice of Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (IAC 81-83) in the classic horror series Resident Evil and Silent Hill.
Did we miss any alumni? Let us know by submitting a motif.