Andrew Dost is a Grammy Award-winning songwriter, composer, and artist, as well as a northern Michigan native. His career spans over 20 years, beginning with concert bands, brass and percussion ensembles, punk bands, and jazz bands, when he learned how to play a multitude of instruments including trumpet, piano, and guitar. His love for arranging developed while he attended Central Michigan University, where he wrote a full-length musical and became a member of the experimental indie band, Anathallo. After years of touring around the world, he formed the band Fun, which garnered global multi-platinum success. He has since composed music for several feature length films, documentaries, video games, television series, podcasts, and more. Dost has performed with Queen, the Beach Boys, Bruce Springsteen, and countless other artists on every kind of stage, from house shows to Red Rocks, The White House, Saturday Night Live, Coachella, the rooftop at Capital Records, and Kresge Auditorium. He remains active as a songwriter, producer, composer, visual artist, sought-after speaker, and teacher.
In addition to his work as an artist, Dost is heavily involved in working toward social justice, having co-founded The Ally Coalition, which provides critical support for grassroots non-profit organizations dedicated to bettering the lives of LGBTQ+ youth.
Music is an inherently collaborative art, and I encourage students to work together, to listen to everything they can, and to treat all listening ears with respect. It is my hope as a teacher that students understand the work that it takes to create, whether that means diving deeply into each project, learning about the world, or looking inward to understand and appreciate their own unique voices. In addition to requiring work, the creation of art should be a joyful process, and I want them to find moments of levity and community in making music they love.
- Grammy Award - Song of the Year
- Grammy Award - Best New Artist
- Grammy Award Nominations - Album of the Year, Record of the Year, Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, Best Pop Vocal Album
- ASCAP Vanguard Award - For “recognition of the impact of new and developing musical genres, which help shape the future of music.”
- Billboard Music Award
- NAFME Stand for Music Award - The National Association for Music Education’s most prestigious award, given to recipients who demonstrate excellence in their craft, speak to music’s power in the lives of students as they prepare to be our nation’s next leaders and innovators, and amplify the benefits of music education and training, such as: innovation, collaboration, critical thinking, creativity, and other 21st century skills
B.S., Journalism - Central Michigan University