Left to right: Ethan Bensdorf, Andrew Mazanko, Roger Nye, Chea Young "Joyce" Kang, R. Allen Spanjer, Ailun Zheng and Kuan Cheng Lu.
On Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2017, the final concerto auditions were held in Corson Auditorium and from 14 student performances three winners were chosen:
- Andrew Mazanko, clarinet, Russian Federation
- Clarinet Concert No. 1 in F Minor, Op. 73 - Carl Maria von Weber (1786-1826)
- Chea Young "Joyce" Kang, soprano, South Korea
- “Una voce poco fa” from Il barbiere de Siviglia - Gioachino Rossini (1792-1868)
- Ailun Zheng, piano, Shanghai
- Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op. 43 - Sergei Rachmaninoff (1873-1943)
Judging was led this year by four musicians of the New York Philharmonic:
- Ethan Bensdorf (IAC 95-00, 02), trumpet
- Kuan Cheng Lu (IAA 96-98), violin
- Roger Nye (IAA 80-82), bassoon
- R. Allen Spanjer (IAA 69-72), horn
Congratulations to all of our performers. Winners of the concerto competition will perform under Ara Sarkissian and the 2016-17 Interlochen Arts Academy Orchestra in Corson Auditorium on March 17, 2017.