The three-week winds and percussion summer program for grades 6-9 is an opportunity for young instrumentalists to develop as musicians and ensemble players. The ensemble experience stresses musical awareness while challenging each student’s technical proficiency at an age and skill-appropriate level. Instrumentalists learn from an excellent faculty that specializes in musical development.
All intermediate wind and percussion students will participate in the Intermediate Wind Symphony (view repertoire). The Wind Symphony presents two concerts per three-week session, with repertoire that is carefully chosen for the students’ skill-level. Advanced students will also join the Intermediate Symphony Orchestra (view repertoire).
Program Details (for students in Wind Symphony only):
- Daily Wind Symphony rehearsals including two sectionals per week.
- Performance skills class is held for one period each day. The class includes practical topics and interactive discussion and will be enhanced through master classes and chamber ensemble sessions.
- Private lessons are given weekly.
- Dedicated practice time is available on days when no lesson is scheduled.
- Two additional electives (see elective options)
Program Details (for students in Wind Symphony and Symphony Orchestra):
- Daily Wind Symphony rehearsals are held for two hour blocks, including two sectionals per week.
- Weekly private lessons are included and students have dedicated practice time with the guidance of teaching assistants on the days opposite their lessons.
- One additional elective (see elective options)
- Symphony Orchestra rehearsals are two hours long; wind and percussion students attend three rehearsals and two sectionals per week.
- Performance skills class is held twice per week. The class includes practical topics and interactive discussion and will be enhanced through master classes and chamber ensemble sessions.
- Audio or video files #1 and #2: Two solo works of contrasting style. There is no required repertoire for intermediate applicants, however the audition recording should demonstrate both technical and lyrical playing. Piano accompaniment is preferred, but not required. Percussionists should demonstrate their skills on snare drum, mallet instruments and timpani.
- Audio or video file #3: Two major scales.
Interlochen offers a separate concerto competition for High School and Intermediate divisions. Winners in the High School division will perform with one of the division’s orchestral or wind ensembles. Concerto competition details >>