During the three-week animation summer program, you will learn the foundations of animation through a variety of hands-on experiences, demonstrations, and exercises.
- Digital Animation
- Stop-Motion and Cel Animation
- Storyboarding for Animators
- History of Animation
Tools and Resources
The Motion Picture Arts (MPA) department is centrally located on Interlochen's campus in the 26,000-square-foot DeRoy Center for Film Studies. Its features include four editing suites, a sound stage, a 180-seat 2K HD projection space, and classrooms equipped with cutting-edge technology. View 360-degree virtual tour.
Students may bring their own laptops for practice during their free hours. Your personal cameras and laptops will not be used for daily location production or editing class projects, but your equipment allows for individual practice of skills learned in class.
PDF file: 1-2 page personal essay detailing your interest in filmmaking and what inspired your application to Interlochen.
AND one of the following work samples:
- PDF file: 5-page sample screenplay
- PDF file: 5 pages of short fiction
- Image files: 5 still images of visual arts (drawings, paintings, sculptures, etc.)
- Video file: short video/film or animation
Interlochen also offers the following summer programs, which may be of interest:
- College Counseling and Test Preparation Institute (takes place the week preceding the Animation program)
Interlochen is also home to the Arts Academy boarding high school, which offers a motion picture arts major for grades 9-12, as well as a post-graduate year.