Interlochen Arts Camp is looking for talented young composers to participate in the 2015 Fanfare Competition. The winning entry will be performed and recorded by Interlochen Arts Camp's World Youth Symphony Orchestra or World Youth Wind Symphony, giving the winning composer unprecedented exposure and an opportunity to hear his/her work performed by an outstanding ensemble. The winning composer will be flown in to attend the performance in person.
Prize: The winning entry will be performed by either the World Youth Symphony Orchestra or the World Youth Wind Symphony. Interlochen will provide airfare for the winning composer so they can hear the premiere in person.
Eligibility: Students must be U.S. residents enrolled in grade 9–12 during the 2014–15 academic year. Students are encouraged but not required to attend Interlochen Arts Camp.
Entry Deadline: December 10, 2014 (11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.)
Contest Timeline: The winner will be announced on January 15, 2015 and will be expected to submit a full score and orchestra parts to the Interlochen music library. The performance will take place on either July 4 or 5, 2015.
Entry Fee: None
- All fanfares should be 1-2 minutes in length. The fanfare must be a new work that has not been previously performed.
- Fanfares will be judged upon the following criteria:
- Quality and originality of the composition.
- Neatness and correctness of the score.
- Successful fanfares will provide an uplifting spirit and creative energy to open the 88th season of the Interlochen Arts Camp.
- Fanfares must be composed for symphony orchestra or wind ensemble. Instrumentation for the fanfare can be as small as desired, but must not be larger than the following:
- Strings: violin, viola, cello, bass
- Winds: flutes (3), oboes (3), clarinets (3), bassoons (3)
- Brass: horns (4), trumpets (3), trombones (3), tuba (1)
- Percussion: timpani + 2 additional parts
- Harp (1)
- Wind Ensemble
- Flutes (1st, 2nd + piccolo)
- Oboe (1st, 2nd + english horn)
- Clarinet (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, e-flat, bass)
- Bassoon (1st, 2nd + contrabassoon)
- Saxophones (AATB or SATB)
- Trumpets (1st, 2nd, 3rd )
- Horns (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th)
- Trombone (1st, 2nd, 3rd )
- Euphonium (1)
- Tuba (1)
- Harp (1)
- Percussion (timpani +4 additional parts)
- The submissions should include the following elements:
- One PDF document containing the score
- One PDF document detailing your music experience (lessons, classes, awards, etc.) and a list of any other musical compositions.
- An audio file of your composition: MIDI or live recording.
- Submit your fanfare and other documents through Interlochen’s online portal. (Composers may not submit more than one entry.)
- One fanfare will be chosen by a committee of faculty Interlochen Center for the Arts. The winner will be announced by January 15, 2015.
- The winning composition will be performed during the first week of Camp 2015, on either July 4 or July 5.
1. The winning composer will receive one round-trip ticket to Traverse City, Michigan, which is located approximately 15 miles from the campus of Interlochen Center for the Arts. Interlochen Center for the Arts will provide transportation from the airport to the Interlochen campus. Lodging and meals will be provided on the Interlochen campus.
- If the winning composer attends an Interlochen Arts Camp program concurrent with the performance date, the round-trip ticket may be used for travel to and from their program.
2. If the contest winner is under the age of 18, they must be accompanied by a parent or guardian, unless they are enrolled in a Camp program at the time of the premiere performance. The parent or guardian will be responsible for his/her own travel arrangements and expenses.
3. If submissions do not meet the standards set by the judges, Interlochen Center for the Arts reserves the right to designate no first prize winner and award no prize.
4. Students currently enrolled at Interlochen Arts Academy are not eligible for this contest.
Questions? Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 231.276.7822.
Interlochen offers a six-week music composition summer program for grades 9-12. As a part of our music composition program, you will be guided by world-renowned composers, teachers, and guest artists as you expand your knowledge of composition and grow as an artist. You will work in our state-of-the-art technology lab, have your new pieces performed, and receive professional recordings of your work.
Interlochen is also home to Interlochen Arts Academy boarding high school, which offers a music composition major.