- Artistic Resume/List of Experiences: Gather a listing of direct or indirect life experiences related to your creativity. Please include the details of your participation in each experience in the style of a resume.
- Portfolio: Your portfolio should include no less than six and no more than ten piecesof original work written or revised during the last year.
- The pieces must represent at least two of the following genres: literary fiction, sci-fi/fantasy, YA fiction, poetry, spoken word, personal essay/memoir, screenwriting, playwriting, and hybrid genre.
- If you are submitting fiction, nonfiction, screenwriting, or playwriting, please do not submit more than 5,000 words per piece.
- Spoken word pieces can be audio or video recorded and uploaded along with your written work. As a complement to the portfolio presentation, the Director of Creative Writing may request to schedule a meeting to discuss your creative pieces and overall candidacy to the program.
The writing portfolio should reflect your interest and ability and should include examples of your best work. Portfolio pieces should be presented typed, standard format with one-inch margins, double-spaced for prose, single-spaced for poetry, using a standard font. If you are unable to present all of the suggested materials, please submit materials that best display your present level and potential. We will let you know if we need to see more. We look forward to reading your writing!
How to Submit Your Materials:
Applicants are required to submit their artistic resume and portfolio digitally as a part of the application process.
For applicants who are joining us for a campus visit, please upload your portfolio one week prior to your visit day in order to participate in an official portfolio review.
We highly encourage all applicants to plan a campus visit! The schedule may include a meeting with our Director of Creative Writing, a full tour of campus including The Writing House and residence halls, an opportunity to meet and interact with current students, and a chance to observe classes in session. Plan your campus visit.