There is no better way to discover Interlochen Arts Academy than to see it for yourself. We strongly encourage visits during the academic year to see first-hand what it is like to be a student at Interlochen.
Campus Visit Options:
Academic Year Visits: September 2017 - May 2018
Offered Mondays and Fridays
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday visits are available by request only and cannot be guaranteed
Start Time: Between 8-9 a.m | End Time: Between 5-6 p.m.
- Shadow a current student within your chosen arts area
- Observe academic and artistic classes
- Complimentary lunch in Stone Cafeteria
- Participate in an audition or Artistic Meeting
- Join a student-led campus tour, including a residence hall walk-through
- Meet with an Academy admission counselor
- Additional meetings by request
- Attend an evening student performance. Complimentary tickets are available for reserve through the Admission Office. Tickets to the 2017-18 Performing Arts Series can not be reserved through the Admission Office, except for A Streetcar Named Desire, Tuck Everlasting, The Nutcracker, Sounds of the Season, Oedipus Rex, and Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. See the Events Calendar.
Summer Session Visits: June - August 2018
Campus tours and Academy Admission Counselor meetings are available by appointment. Please note that most Academy faculty are not available during the summer session. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 231.276.7472 for more information.
Prospective students and families take part in a large group experience that explores the possibility of attending Interlochen Arts Academy. The day's schedule provides flexibility to move at your own pace, while anchored with thoughtful opportunities that bring the group back together. Learn more about open house opportunities. There are no open houses scheduled at this time. Check back soon for details on upcoming events.
Schedule a Campus Visit
Campus visits must be approved through the Office of Admission and Financial Aid. Please complete our Visit Day Request Form.
We kindly ask for requests one week in advance in order for the Admission Office to be able to prepare and organize your experience. If your family is unable to experience a full visit day schedule, please contact us to discuss alternatives.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com or 231.276.7472.
Travel and Lodging
Interlochen Arts Academy is located on the campus of Interlochen Center for the Arts in northern lower Michigan, about four hours northwest of Detroit. View map.
Below you’ll find information to help you plan your trip to Interlochen. Guests younger than 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
Delta, American and United Airlines service the Cherry Capital Airport in Traverse City, Michigan (TVC) which is only 30 minutes away from the Interlochen campus.
Some travelers might also want to compare other flight options. Sometimes it is more cost-effective to fly into other Michigan airports and drive to Interlochen. Below are the approximate drive times from the four closest major airports to Interlochen:
Grand Rapids (GRR) - 2.5 hours
Detroit Metro (DTW) - 4.5 hours
Chicago Midway (MDW) - 5 hours (depending on traffic and time of day)
Chicago O’Hare (ORD) - 6 hours (depending on traffic and time of day)
A variety of lodging accommodations are available for Prospective Students:
Interlochen Center for the Arts offers a variety of on-campus overnight accommodations. You may choose the Stone Center Hotel, which is centrally located on campus and is newly renovated. Interlochen also offers cabin-style lodges. These range from rustic to luxurious, and from one-bedroom to three-bedroom units, nestled in the comfortable ambiance of the north woods. For guests staying on Interlochen's campus, a shuttle is available from Cherry Capitol Airport in Traverse City. To check rates and book online visit Stone Lodging: On-Campus Hotel, Cabins, and Lodges
Crystal Mountain Resort (20 minute drive time, located in scenic Benzie County)
12500 Crystal Mountain
Thompsonville, MI 49683
Park Place Hotel (30 minute drive time, located in downtown Traverse City)
300 East State Street
Traverse City, MI 49684
Baymont Inn & Suites (15 minute drive time, located near the Grand Traverse Mall)
2326 US 31 South
Traverse City, MI 49684
Fairfield Inn & Suites (15 minute drive time, located near the Grand Traverse Mall)
3701 North Country Drive
Traverse City, MI 49684
Econo Lodge (12 minute drive time, located between Traverse City and Interlochen)
1065 M 37 Highway
Traverse City, MI 49684
Visit Day Policies
A parent/guardian/family member over the age of 18 must accompany the prospective student to Interlochen.
During the visit day experience, the student may observe on their own, but family must be able to be reached in case of an emergency.
Please request and schedule your visit day at least one week in advance in order for Admissions to prepare and organize your experience.
Artistic Requirements Guidance
Artistic Requirements for Application
To be considered for admission to Interlochen Arts Academy, you must complete an application for admission and demonstrate your artistic readiness by submitting your work to be reviewed by the appropriate faculty.
Live Audition Guidance
Performance Majors: Dance, Music and Theatre
- Audition: Prospectives will be participating with the company during the afternoon dance block.
- Ladies - black leotard, pink tights, pink ballet shoes, pointe shoes, hair in an appropriate bun
- Gentlemen - white smooth-fitting t-shirt, black tights, thin white socks, white ballet shoes
- Students will have time to change prior to participating in the class audition.
- Timing: Live Instrumental Auditions typically take 30 minutes or less. Live Voice Auditions are typically 10-15 minutes. All music auditions are directed and proceed at the discretion of the music faculty. Auditions may or may not be recorded at the discretion of the faculty. If the faculty member(s) from the major you are auditioning for is (are) unavailable on the date you audition, another faculty member from the music area you are applying to (brass, strings, winds, etc) will direct your audition.
- Length of Pieces: Your repertoire choice is up to you. While many majors suggest specific pieces (see Audition Requirements for details), the most important thing is to prepare selections that meet the requirements and you feel comfortable with. If you get cut off before you finish performing a selection, don’t worry—it's normal for that to happen in auditions and does not mean that you won’t be accepted!
- Attire: Please wear weather-appropriate attire that you can perform in and that you will be comfortable wearing all day. Concert black is not required. Standard recital attire is welcomed but also not required.
Please bring along a copy of your headshot and resume.
Accompaniment is not provided. Prospectives are welcome to bring along a CD or play musical track directly through external device (ie. tablet, phone, etc) to accompany them during their chosen musical theatre piece.
Creative Arts Majors: Comparative Arts, Creative Writing, Motion Picture Arts, Theatre Design and Production, Visual Arts
By request, an Artistic Meeting with the division director or arts faculty will be scheduled for you during your campus visit. Students are welcome to bring their artistic samples/portfolios. When submitting an application, all applicants are then required to upload artistic samples to their application record. A live portfolio review or admission feedback is not available.
Frequently Asked Questions